Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Hearty Veggie Lasagna



I used to think lasagna had to be filled with meat in order for it ti be filling. Well I was wrong! Ever since I made this vegetable lasagna, I've never wanted to eat meaty-greasy lasagna! It really is filling, comfort-foody and yet very packed with fresh healthy vegetables. Again, I had to make a lot of changes (I guess I just like to add a lot of food to these recipes!), and those are in Italics, but don't panic if you don't have everything I used. It would probably still taste fine without those, but it's really really fine with those extras!

Ingredients

  • 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles (I used about 3/4 of a package, and it filled the pan still)
  • 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced (canned also work, but they're not very tasty, as I learned)
  • 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper (I didn't have this, so I didn't use it, and I don't think I missed it)
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion (I used minced, dried onion)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (didn't even use this)
  • 2 (26 ounce) jars pasta sauce (I used only one jar, it seemed less runny that way)
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 (15 ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

  • * I used two zucchinis (chopped). Just peel and chop them, and add them to the sauteed garlic/onion. 
  • ** I used a lot of Parsley, Oregano, and Garlic Salt. These made the flavor much more vibrant, with all those vegetables and cheese. 
  • ***I used a bag of fresh baby spinach (I chopped it a  little), and added that to my ricotta mixture. 
  • ****I used two bunches of broccoli and a few chopped baby carrots, and I put them on a plate with a little water, covered the plate with plastic wrap, and microwaved for one minute. Then you just add them to the other vegetables.





Directions

  1. Cook the lasagna noodles in a large pot of boiling water for 10 minutes, or until al dente. Rinse with cold water, and drain.
  2. In a large saucepan, cook and stir mushrooms, green peppers, onion, and garlic in oil. Stir in pasta sauce and basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
  3. Mix together ricotta, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, and eggs.
  4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread 1 cup tomato sauce into the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer 1/2 each, lasagna noodles, ricotta mix, sauce with veggies, and Parmesan cheese. Between each layer, sprinkle parsley, oregano, and garlic salt to keep flavor throughout the dish. Repeat layering, and top with remaining 2 cups mozzarella cheese.
  5. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment