Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Cookie I love and hate, but mostly love

These are hands-down, the best chocolate chip cookies ever!! You will want to make them and just eat the dough, but let me warn you that if you eat all of the dough you won't taste the amazingness of freshly baked, warm soft cookies with lots of melty chocolate chips. We love them and have made them several times, we even freeze the dough in little balls so we just throw the balls on a cookie sheet and they're ready to eat in 10 minutes. That is why I hate them. They will be the destruction of any figure I ever had. But totally worth it. For now. :) 

Originally called the "New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookie," I found this recipe pinned and floating around several websites until I just knew I had to try it. 

Ingredients

2 1/2 sticks butter, softened
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 tsp salt 
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
2 cups minus 2 Tbsp cake flour
1 2/3 cups bread flour **
2 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (this still seems like a ton, so I used about 1 1/2 cups, do whatever you want!)

**I use regular flour in place of bread flour, but I DO use cake flour, not sure if it makes a difference or not. AND I also only use about 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups, because 1 2/3 cups always seems like too much when I make the dough

Directions:

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time until well incorporated. Stir in vanilla. 

Sift in salt, baking powder, baking soda, cake flour, and bread (or regular) flour. Stir until dry ingredients are well incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips. 

Press plastic wrap against the surface of the dough and refrigerate at least 24 hours. (I personally can't wait that long and they taste wonderful if you bake them right away, but I also save some dough and refrigerate or freeze it for later)

When ready to bake cookies, place balls of dough onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake @ 350 degrees for 10-11 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. DON'T wait until they all  look golden brown or it'll be too late! Just take them out when the centers still look slightly gooey, and let them sit outside the oven on the still-hot cookie sheet if they need to be a little more baked. The key is to not over-bake them! 

You're welcome for introducing you to the best cookie of your life. :) 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to you and Megan for all the wonderful recipes! (Did I miss Melinda's or someone else's? Sorry, but I haven't read them all yet.)
    Did you see my post, rt. before this one?
    A really nice site! :)

    ReplyDelete