Thursday, December 31, 2009

"Magic" Vegetable Soup (From favfamilyrecipes.com)

 Weight loss magic soup

Ingredients
  • 2 cans chicken broth -you may use low-sodium (I don't!)
  • 3 cups V-8 juice (you can use low-sodium V8 or even tomato juice, homemade or store bought)
  • 2 cans Italian diced tomatoes
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 cloves minced garlic (I use the minced garlic from the jar)
  • 1 package sliced mushrooms (I use two packs of mushrooms because I love them so much)
  • 3 carrots, peeled and sliced (I add a few extra carrots)
  • 1 zucchini, diced (I add extra zucchini and yellow squash)
  • 1 yellow squash, diced
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen green beans (I never add these- it sounded not very good to me!)
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I do two cans of beans- cannellini and black beans)
  • 3-4 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning (I don't always add this)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Instructions
  • In a large frying pan sprayed with cooking spray, sauté garlic, onions, carrots, and mushrooms for about 5 minutes. In a large crockpot, combine sautéed garlic and vegetables with the remaining ingredients. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until vegetables are cooked. (I have to cook mine for wayyyy longer, maybe because I add more vegetables. It goes for like 6 hours on high.)
  • This makes a large batch of soup. (This fills my whole big crock pot, and there isn't a lot of juice. I freeze it in tupperware containers that I can then pull out one at a time. When I heat some up, I always add some tomato soup and a little garlic salt (my favorite way right now) or some Spicy V8. Warning- these are a lot of veggies, so you might want to take Beano before you eat it!! Just sayin'.....)

No comments:

Post a Comment